Pages

Monday, October 26, 2009

Sew, What is Success?

I did not have the success that I was aiming for this month on the sewing projects, but what success I did have was sweeter than anticipated.

The Setbacks:

One: I melted as pair of pretty blue eyes smiled in the face of a soon to be three year old who was so excited to tell me that she was going to have a princess birthday party. I was powerless to resist. My mom immediately volunteered to help and we set to work making a pretty pink princess dress. Our princess picked out the fabric and the pattern last spring. It was convenient that I had everything for her dress on hand waiting for just the right moment to make it. Only one problem, I thought that moment would be, um, Christmas time. She happened to drop by the first evening we were working on it. Excellent, that way we could see if it would fit. The pieces my mom had just cut out were sitting on the table. When mom asked our princess who she they thought were for, our princess answered: “You?”, “My mom?”, “Madilyn?”. In short, she thought it was for everyone except her. Emma is so sweet and so unassuming. Mom held up the various pieces to her and put them back on the table. Our princess was ‘looking’ at the pieces {I love how kids always ‘look’ with their fingers.} and she asked: “Could someone put these together for me?” If I had not already melted, I would have then. She is so precious.

Two: I lost 5 days (aka one Saturday {the only day I have to really accomplish anything} and four evenings) to an exacerbated sternocleidomastoid. Dumb, but I am all better now. Instead of sewing I spent that Saturday with Philip.

Three: I learned that there was a book sale right after being told that my last week with sewing potential would be eaten up by overtime.

The Successes:

One: A Pretty Pink Princess who looked just like Sleeping Beauty in her pink dress. She even wanted to wear the tiara to bed the night of her birthday party.

Two: Quality time with Philip. Who is thankful, I am sure, that I did not sew him anything.

Three: A great day spent with my mom, and finding more books to make a home for. Now, my bookshelf is completely full, even behind the books.

Four: Probably my most triumphal, making Stacey the Queen of All the Land. A definite upgrade from the role previously assigned to her {that of The Royal Cleaner}. She looked absolutely beautiful at her final fitting last night! Emma, The Royal Pin Cushion Holder and Assistant to the Royal Seamstress, sure thought so. Emma was darling following her mom and me around as we moved to find better lighting, and visit the only floor length mirror in the house. With my pin cushion in hand, she was ready to supply me before I could even begin to ask. I could not find a better little assistant.

It is funny to see that even when things do not turn out how I wanted them to, they are better than I expected. And, maybe now I will have time to make the chemise, bloomers, and petticoat for my costume next year. One thing is for certain, I am not putting it away this time. Slow progress is still progress.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh dear. Its mostly my little family that has thwarted your plans. Thank you.

Sotto Voce said...

Yes, it is your fault that Emma is cute! ;) Emma's dress only took two days. As for your dress, it did not take me any longer than I planned. My only real set backs were my stupid neck and OT, neither of which are your fault. You are only mentioned under my successes. :) I can't wait to see you in your dress! You will be pleased to know that I finished it before 10 o'clock tonight. It is all done and ready for tomorrow.
Happy Birthday, early!
-C