Pages

Friday, December 18, 2009

Someday...

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about someday, someday I want to or someday I am going to… I even added a list of somedays to the side of my blog. After doing so, I kept thinking about someday, and I have decided that there are two types of somedays. The first, things that we want to do, but find ourselves procrastinating. What a dreadful word! I hate when I find myself procrastinating. We all do it, but that is no excuse. The second: opportunities we have not yet had. So, what are the reasons for this not yet having? Well, usually it is a lack of resources such as time, money, means, etc. On occasion the reason we have not accomplished certain goals is a combination of these two.

My incomplete list of somedays found on the side of this blog {Which is subject to change as I think of more things or decide there is something else I’d rather do instead.} is primarily a list of skills I want to acquire or places I want to visit. These are all good things that I really want to do, but I have another list of somedays. Before I share this list I want to point out that it may appear to be a list of complaints. I do not mean this to be such, merely another list of opportunities that I look forward to someday having. Someday I want to have a home to manage and time to manage it. I want to do laundry because it is in the hamper, not because I need something to wear tomorrow, or because I have to do laundry now as I will not be home long enough to do it for days. I want to find the bottom of the laundry hamper every time I do laundry. I want to have time to iron everything before I hang it in the closet. I want to be home early enough in the day to fix a meal that takes longer than thirty minutes, and set a table that compliments such a meal. I want to have a menu in mind when I go grocery shopping. I want to develop {or just revise Martha Stewart’s to suit my needs…} and follow a schedule of checklists: clean daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and seasonally. Maybe I am crazy, but I like to read and study about the days when keeping a home was both a full time job that was respected and an art. I realize that even those I know who have the opportunity to manage a home do not have the time to do all of these things as I find them described in my books. The mother with the newborn baby or the mother who is running her children to ballet and soccer does not find the bottom of her hamper and does not have the time to cook elaborate meals every day. And I realize that this is a list of tasks that become just as mundane as any other tasks that have to be accomplished on a routine basis. It is work, after all. But this second incomplete list is of a few things that are important to me. Maybe if I were more organized, I could live this way now… I just don’t feel like I have the time. I do not want to sound ungrateful for the opportunities I have had, and do have. I am grateful to have a good job that eats up so many hours of my day. It is what will allow me to eventually buy a home to manage. And hopefully someday I will have the opportunity to have someone remind me I made this blog post!

1 comment:

Heather said...

i'll take an oil painting class with you and a ballet class. those are both on my list!!! and i would love to learn how to use a lathe! my dad has one and could teach us!