Each month I try to take a little something to book group. I love an excuse to eat a treat, don't you? This month since we read Christmas stories I thought it would be fun to bake mint brownies. What can be more Christmas-y than mint; after all it is what makes candy canes! Or is that the sugar? Either way I was covered. So I stopped by the store on my way home from work and picked up a brownie mix, canned frosting (I know, I never do this, but...) and some peppermint patties. I hurry home; turn on the oven and start mixing. Then I chopped up the peppermint patties and mix them in too. Yum. Put the brownies in the oven and wait... After they have been in the correct amount of time according to the box, I check them with a toothpick one inch from the edge as directed. They did not seem done, so I put them back in the oven. Wait. Check them again. Good to go. I pull them out and put them on a cooling rack. Fix dinner, get ready, time to frost the brownies. I open the can of frosting and dump a huge glob right in the middle of the brownies and start to spread it. Much to my chagrin I discover that the entire center of the brownies is still raw. In my frustration, I stirred the whole mess up into this distasteful looking paste of cooked brownie, raw brownie, gooey mint chunks, and frosting in preparation for the dump into the garbage. Then I looked up at the clock. With only four minutes until time to be to Karah's, I grab the rest of the peppermint patties, dumped them in a Christmas bowl and leave the disgusting mess right where it sat on the counter. {And I had been frustrated that I had not thought to put crushed candy canes on top as a garnish until too late... silly me.} Book group was lovely. Then I returned home... and decided to toss the brownie mess back into the oven. About thirty minutes later I took them out and sat them on the counter. This morning I got up and tried one for breakfast. {The rest of my breakfast was super healthy, I promise!} Not as bad as I thought. The edges were a bit overdone, they were a bit too rich, they were not pretty to look at, but all things considered still a decent chocolate mint fix. However, I do not see myself making them again. I really think twice baked is for potatoes. And next time I make mint brownies I will just make sure they "really" are done before I take them out to cool, like the many other times I have made them. Silly one inch from the edge test...
1 comment:
oh man. those would have been yummers!
Post a Comment