Most of you, dear readers, know that I have decided to become the little old lady with the rabbits since I cannot ever live with cats. My first rabbit, Peter, has been in my home for over a year now. He is hilarious to say the least. I know he is happy with me when he hops around my feet and I know he is mad when he shakes his head, growls, and hops away. Most of the time, he likes me.
Every night he sleeps "upstairs" in his condo right by my bed. He wakes up earlier than I do, not surprising... he waits for me to get up. He will hop downstairs and chew on the wires that form the door. Then he hops back upstairs, stands on his hind feet, and cocks his head turning his eye toward me waiting to see if I will get up. Sometimes I watch him do this several times, because I think it is funny. I love my little creature of habbit.
Occasionally however, those habits are not so... lovely, especially when the habits dictate my behavior. You see, Peter is used to having me to himself. When I first introduced my second rabbit, Benjamin, to Peter he was very possessive. Peter immediately hoped into my lap and Benjamin tried to, too. The fur flew. Yes, fur. They were biting each other and little bits of fur were all over my lap. Benjamin at one month could hold his own surprisingly well. They both got a healthy spraying of water, and they have been separated ever since. I will try introductions again after Benjamin's "special visit" to the vet. Things should go better then.
Ever since the bite-fest I have been careful to take care of my bunnies in order, Peter first and then Benjamin. One evening I thought "this is silly", so I changed the order... bad idea. I also did not wash my hands after holding Benjamin, bad to worse. Peter was very grumpy with me as I cleaned his cage. So I thought I would let him run around when I was done. I like to lie on the floor and let Peter hop on me to get my attention. Peter was distressed because I smelled like Benjamin. To make matters worse I reached my hands above my head to stretch not knowing that Peter was right above me. You have to understand that rabbits do not see well right in front of them. So what does a rabbit do when it has something it cannot see in front of its mouth that smells like the enemy? The answer is this: bite really hard. The bleeding bunny bite was very distressing to my little nieces who were still living with me when it happened, and surprisingly distressing to me. I hope the little girls have forgotten. I wish I could have hidden it from them! I have not forgotten, but I have developed a new habit. After holding Benjamin, I wash my hands before picking up Peter. It is a good thing to discover that your everyday hand soap can protect me from the jealous rage of Peter. Silly bunny.
1 comment:
They haven't forgotten but they still love your rabbits.
Post a Comment