Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Lunch Break List

Yesterday one of my coworkers, knowing my penchant for literature, told me about an article published Monday in one of the British newspapers. In this article the results of a survey are discussed. What was said survey about? Well, this survey tried to determine who are the most romantic heroes in literature? I am not going to share the link, because I do not agree. Instead, I am going to give you my list compiled on an obliging post-it note during my lunch break. I am certain upon greater reflection I would determine that someone has been overlooked and/or may not be ranked as they should have been… Not so, for my top three. But how much more time, really, should I spend thinking about this? That being said, I will withhold no longer:

10 Most Romantic Heroes in Literature:

1) John Thornton (North and South)**

2) Frederick Wentworth (Persuasion)

3) Константин Дмитриевич Лёвин, Konstantin Dmitrievich Levin (Анна Каренина, Anna Karenina)

4) George Knightley (Emma)

5) Gabriel Oak (Far From the Madding Crowd)

6) Daniel Deronda (Daniel Deronda)

7) Allan Woodcourt (Bleak House)

8) Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride and Prejudice)

9) Percy Blakeney (Scarlet Pimpernel)

10) Gilbert Markham (The Tenant of Wildfell Hall)

**Note: Please refer to the book {not the movie} for his true character!

Worthy of an Honorable Mention:

Edmund Bertram (Mansfield Park), Dick Dewy (Under a Greenwood Tree), Edward Ferrars (Sense and Sensibility), John Ridd (Lorna Doone), Edward Rochester (Jane Eyre), Benedick (Much Ado About Nothing), Eugene Wrayburn (Our Mutual Friend), John Harmon (Our Mutual Friend), Paul Emanuel (Villette), Gilbert Blythe (Anne of Green Gables), Graham Bretton (Villette), Waldo Hawkridge (The Nonsuch), Arthur Clennam (Little Dorrit), Nicholas Nickleby (Nicholas Nickleby), Arthur Goring (An Ideal Husband), Robert Chiltern (An Ideal Husband)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I KNEW Mr. Thornton would be first on your list...and I agree.

Stacey said...

Ugh Levin! Ugh! Celeste not Levin. He spent most of his time theorizing about economics, so not romantic. I had to skip half his pages because they were so boring.

Hmmm, Thorntons ok and I had to agree I knew that would be your top pick. I'm partial to Knightly myself.

Sotto Voce said...

Kasie: I am glad I was able to introduce you…

Stacey: Oh, but Levin is Tolstoy’s example of unselfish love.

We always did think that Jer was most like Mr. Knightly. So your choice does not surprise me. :)

-C