Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

The Tooth Fairy {Came}

The last few days have held several firsts and a few lasts for me. I experienced filling my first prescription for myself. Yes, I am sure I have had a prescription before, but my mom would have filled it for me because it was when I was a kid. I got my first IV. Ok, so maybe not my first as I am certain that I had one as an infant, but I have no recollection of that. So the first IV I remember. I was put under for the first time. That was weird. It was so disturbing to feel the medication moving up my arm. All of this for my first surgery to take care of a last, it was finally time to get rid of my last baby tooth. Yes, crazy I know, but I still had a baby tooth. Thanks to a broken crown, it was time for me to part with the last remnant of my childhood. Not that I feel bad about that. I was really pleased that I had been able to avoid dealing with if for many years! Over seven years longer than the dentists predicted. But there comes a time in everyone's life that they need to get rid of the baby teeth. Mine are now all gone. This last one has been replaced by a titanium screw which will be capped as soon as it is fully healed. All done. Or so you would think. But my story has one more last and it has to do with Madilyn. What, you ask? Yep, Madilyn. Naturally I was a little anxious about surgery as I have little personal hospital experience. {Thankfully.} I was discussing the process and Madilyn was in hearing. Now, Madilyn is at an age where she is categorizing things and putting them in "order" in her mind. She is a bright child, but I am a bit of an anomaly to her and her understanding of how things work. So we talk about some of the same things repeatedly. I love it. And again with the baby tooth I presented her with an anomaly. So we talked about it a few times. Once we had established that yes I have a baby tooth her next concern was this: "Is the tooth fairy going to come?" You see, Madilyn lost her first tooth a short time ago, and it is still fresh in her mind. I had not thought about whether or not the dentist would give me my tooth. I am not attached, but what do I say? I am not always good at knowing what to say on the spot, so I told her it was dependent on the dentist giving me my tooth. Lame response. She was not bothered, and the oral surgeon thought it was funny but still he gave me my tooth. I showed it to Madilyn and then the following morning went over for a visit bringing a dollar coin with me "from" the tooth fairy. When I told her that the tooth fairy had "come" her response was: "I told you how it would be. That is exactly what the tooth fairy brought to me." I am so glad that Madilyn knew just how it would be and that she explained everything to me. Madilyn made my last "visit" from the tooth fairy a delight!

3 comments:

Heather said...

so cute!!!

Angela said...

Oh, Madilyn just makes EVERYTHING so much more fun! :)

Colleen said...

She is too cute!