Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Audio Books

When I was a child, I enjoyed listing to a series of Disney Read-Along books on record {Yes, vinyl was available "in my day"} and cassette tape.   I would flip thought the pages as the stories were read and I loved that they included some of the songs from the movies.  So fun! {Below are two of my favorites!}


  
I did not really listen to books on tape again until I had a 10-15 hour a week commute into the City. I was a frequent patron of the library seeking audio books as soon as I had grown tired of my meager music collection.  I felt by listening to all of those books I was not wasting my time, and it kept me awake when I was tired.  

Thankfully, I no longer have that commute, but I do still enjoy listening to books on tape whenever I am doing something that will allow me to listen.  I get audio books from the library occasionally, but with the capabilities of my new phone, I can download them.  I found a website that does not limit you to just putting them on your phone.  They are available for download so you can burn them to CD. Great for road trips! And you do not have to turn them in if you cannot finish them in the allotted "check out" time.  Best of all, this website offers audio books for free.  What website, you ask? Go here. LibriVox has an ever growing collection of books that are in the public domain and the recordings are, too. I will make these recommendations, though: Look for books that only have one reader.  When the reader switches each chapter it  is rather distracting, or at least I think think it is.  And, do not give up if you don't care for the reader... they are free after all.  If you do not like the reader, pick a different book!

I am currently listening to The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper and I just finished Bleak House by Charles Dickens.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Wow! I remember those books . . . and the box we kept all of the tapes in. I'm not much of a book on tape listener now (unless I'm on a road trip), but I'd love to listen to those again! ;)