A few of days ago, the latest offering from Masterpiece Classic was the topic of conversation in the "S" Family Chat. My soon to be sister-in-law mentioned that she needed something to watch while her husband was out of town and was asking if anyone knew much about Downton Abbey. It got me thinking. Dangerous, I know! What would I recommend if she were asking me for a good chick flick to watch? And I remembered that a few years ago I complied a list of movies for a friend. I'm going to post the updated list here for fun. Do you have a favorite? What did I miss?
Bronte sisters:
Jane Eyre
- (2011) ~ Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender
- (2006) ~ Ruth Wilson, Toby Stephens
- (1997) ~ Samantha Morton, Ciaran Hinds
- (1996) ~ Charlotte Gainsbourg, William Hurt
- (1983) ~ Zelah Clark, Timothy Dalton
Wuthering Heights
- (1998) ~ Orla Brady, Robert Cavanah {I don't think I've seen this one...}
- (1970) ~ Anna Calder-Marshall, Timothy Dalton
Charles Dickens:
Little Dorritt (2008) ~ Claire Foy, Matthew MacFadyen
Bleak House (2005) ~ Anna Maxwell Martin, Charles Dance, Gillian Anderson
Nicholas Nickleby (2002) ~ Anne Hathaway, Romola Garai, Charlie Hunnam
David Copperfield (2000) ~ Hugh Dancy, Anthony Andrews
Our Mutual Friend (1998) ~ Anna Friel, Keeley Hawes, Paul McGann, Steven Mackintosh
Jane Austen:
Emma
- (2009) ~ Romola Garai, Jonny Lee Miller
- (1996) ~ Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeremy Northam
- (1996) ~ Kate Beckinsdale, Mark Strong
Pride and Prejudice
- (2005) ~ Keira Knightley, Matthew MacFadyen
- (1995) ~ Jennifer Ehle, Colin Firth
Sense and Sensibility
- (2008) ~ Hattie Morahan, Charity Wakefield, Dan Stevens
- (1995) ~ Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet
Mansfield Park
- (2007) ~ Billie Piper, Blake Ritson {It does not follow the book, only ok.}
- (1999) ~ Frances O'Connor, Jonny Lee Miller {I've seen this movie and really liked it, but [and that is a big but!] this movie, unlike the book, has bad stuff in it. When I watched it for the first time, I had someone with me who skipped past the bad stuff so I didn't have to see it. When I check this out from the library, I skip it still. Just a heads up!}
Persuasion
- (2007) ~ Sally Hawkins, Rupert Penry-Jones
- (1995) ~ Amanda Root, Ciaran Hinds
Northanger Abbey
- (2007) ~ Felicity Jones, JJ Feild
- (1986) ~ Katharine Schlesinger, Peter Firth {Super cheesy 80's music is a bit distracting.}
Elizabeth Gaskell:
Cranford and Return to Cranford (2007) ~ Judy Dench, Claudie Blakley, Francesca Annis, Simon Woods
North and South (2004) ~ Daniela Denby-Ashe, Richard Armitage
Wives and Daughters (1999) ~ Justine Waddell, Bill Paterson, Francesca Annis
Louisa May Alcott:
Little Women (1994) ~ Susan Sarandon, Winona Ryder
Oscar Wilde:
The Importance of Being Ernest (2002) ~ Rupert Everett, Colin Firth, Frances O'Connor
An Ideal Husband (1999) ~ Jeremy Northam, Cate Blanchett, Julianne Moore, Rupert Everett
George Eliot:
Daniel Deronda (2002) ~ Hugh Dancy, Romola Garai, Hugh Bonneville
Middlemarch (1994) ~ Juilet Aubrey, Rufus Sewell
Mill on the Floss (1978) ~ Philip Locke, Judy Cornwell, Barbara Hicks
Thomas Hardy:
Under the Greenwood Tree (2005) ~ Keeley Hawes, James Murray
Mayor of Casterbridge (2003) ~ Ciaran Hinds, Juliet Aubrey, Jodhi May
Far From the Madding Crowd (1998) ~ Paloma Baeza, Nathaniel Parker
Tess of the D'urbervilles (1998) ~ Justine Waddell
Return of the Native (1994) ~ Catherine Zeta-Jones, Clive Owen
Others
Downton Abbey (2010, 2011) ~ Hugh Bonneville, Dan Stevens, Brendan Coyle, Michelle Dockery
Larkrise to Candleford (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011) ~ Brendan Coyle, Julia Sawalha, Claudie Blakley
The Young Victoria (2009) ~ Emily Blunt, Rupert Friend
Bright Star (2009) ~ Abbie Cornish, Ben Whishaw
Miss Austen Regrets (2008) ~ Olivia Williams, Greta Scacchi
Becoming Jane (2007) ~ Anne Hathaway, James McAvoy
Amazing Grace (2006) ~ Ioan Gruffudd, Michael Gambon, Romola Garai, Benedict Cumberbatch
Master and Commander (2003) ~ Russell Crowe, Paul Bettany
Victoria and Albert (2001) ~ Victoria Hamilton, Jonathan Firth
Lorna Doone (2000) ~ Richard Coyle, Amelia Warner
The Winslow Boy (1998) ~ Rebecca Pidgeon, Jeremy Northam, Nigel Hawthorne
Horatio Hornblower (1998 - 2003) ~ Ioan Gruffudd
Mrs. Brown (1997) ~ Judi Dench, Billy Connolly
Twelfth Night (1996) ~ Helena Bonham Carter, Imogen Stubbs, Toby Stephens
The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982) ~ Anthony Andrews, Jane Seymore, Ian McKellen

1 comment:
This is a fabulous list! I've seen a lot of these, but was happy to find some new ones I haven't seen!!! I was recently introduced to Larkrise to Candleford and have really liked this series! I will make an effort to watch everything on this list. Never can have to many "period pieces" to watch!
Post a Comment