Sunday, November 17, 2013
Cream is a GOOD milk substitute...
I invited company over for dinner after deciding what I wanted to make. Good? Yes. Discovering that I was missing an ingredient after starting my preparations, bad! Not wanting to go to the store with kids in tow because I used all of my milk making a double batch of tapioca pudding earlier, I decided that I would use some leftover cream instead to make the "condensed cream of whatever soup" recipe I usually use to make Sour Cream Potatoes {aka Funeral Potatoes, but that is too morbid for my taste}. I like it better than the canned soup. And another plus, it is cheaper, too. The recipe is as follows: in a sauce pan saute 2 Tbs butter and 2 Tbs flour. Add 1 cup milk and cook until thickened. Add seasonings. I use chicken bouillon and pepper for most dishes. For the Sour Cream Potatoes, I also add Lawry's seasoning {MIL does, hubby likes, and I like it, too}. So back to the cream substitution for milk in my soup... it was incredibly thick and rich! The picture above is the cream soup mixed with the sour cream. Still pretty thick! I wouldn't use that substitution too often as cream is rather rich for everyday, but it was pretty tasty.
Other cooking fun for this week, I tried another recipe for homemade bread. This time I tried the recipe that came with my food processor. It was pretty good, and making it in the food processor, it was really fast. The family liked this recipe better than the last, but I don't think my search for a favorite bread recipe is over yet. Along the bread line, I also made biscuits in the food processor. I really liked them. They were light and fluffy buttery goodness. Perfect for our biscuits and gravy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment